Current Status and Future Prospects on the SPring-8 Storage Ring Beam Characteristics
兵庫県企業庁播磨科学公園都市建設局長 Hyogo Prefectural Public Enterprises Agency Harima Science Garden City Construction Bureau, Director、姫路工業大学高度産業科学技術研究所長 Laboratory of Advanced Science and Technology for Industry, Himeji Institute of Technology, Head、先端科学技術支援センター所長 Center for Advanced Science and Technology, Head、（財）高輝度光科学研究センター理事 JASRI, Director、住友電気工業株式会社播磨研究所長 Harima R&D Laboratories, Sumitomo Electric Industries, Ltd., Head
（財）高輝度光科学研究センター 加速器部門 JASRI Accelerator Division
- Multi-bunch-mode, single-bunch-mode and several-bunch-mode operations of electron or positron beam were designed in the SPring-8 storage ring. At the beginning of the commissioning multi-bunch-mode operation was mainly carried out. At the same time the rf knockout system was tested in the synchrotron for a request of the single-bunchmode operation from users. A long pulse train of 1 μs or 40 ns is injected from the Linac to the synchrotron, one bunched beam is remained with the rf knockout system in the synchrotron and the beam is injected into an aimed bunch of the storage ring repeatedly. The several-bunch-mode operation could be realized and used for users of BL09. The impurity of the satellite buckets was less than 10－6. A beam life time at the current value of 19 mA in 21-bunchmodeoperation was about 18 hours. The phenomenon that purity became worse with the time was not observed at all. Sometimes the beam was injected into other bunches in addition to aimed bunches and the reason has been investigated.
Evolution of SPring-8 Project -from the Construction Phase to the Research Phase-
2. SPring-8の現状／PRESENT STATUS OF SPring-8
3. 共用ビームライン／PUBLIC BEAMLINE
Current Status of High Energy Inelastic Scattering BL08W Experimental Station
（財）高輝度光科学研究センター 利用促進部門 JASRI Experimental Facilities Divison
- The outline and the current situation of Extremely Dense State Beamline (BL10XU) which has the high pressure station and the high brilliance XAFS station are reported. After the commissioning on September 1997, a pre-edge peak of K2MoO4 is successfully observed in the Mo K-edge absorption spectrum, indicating the sufficient energy resolution of the monochromatized synchrotron radiation beam at BL10XU. In the high pressure station, perspicuous diffraction patterns under the ultra-high pressure are obtained. New high brilliance XAFS system using the undulator gap control synchronized with the monochromator scanning is described.
理化学研究所 播磨研究所 構造生物物理研究室 RIKEN Harima Institute Structual Biophysics Laboratory
- At the SPring-8, RIKEN beamline I has been designed and developed for structural biology research by the Institute of Physical and Chemical Research (RIKEN). RIKEN beamline I consists of two experimental stations, protein crystallography (PX) and small-angle X-ray scattering (SAXS). Both experiments can be carried out simultaneously. The SAXS branch uses the monochromatized undulator beam that enables us to obtain the data under various conditions. The PX branch has been designed based on a "trichromatic concept" to optimize for the MAD data collection.The construction of RIKEN beamline I had been progressed satisfactorily until June 1997. The commissioning successfully provided the branched undulator beams with a beam splitter, and the three different monochromatized undulator beams were successfully observed with the trichromator.
Current Status of Soft X-ray Spectroscopy of Solid BL25SU Experimental Station
Characterization of a 100~150 keV Monochromator for High Energy Synchrotron Radiation
4. 最近の研究から／FROM LATEST RESEARCH
東京大学物性研究所 Institute for Solid State Physics, University of Tokyo
- X-ray emission spectroscopy (XES) is one of the most important spectroscopies to make a remarkable progress utilizing third generation synchrotron radiation sources. Here, I discuss some aspects of XES in rare earth compounds and transition metal compounds on the basis of our theoretical analysis of recent experimental data. Some prospects of future investigations are also given.
東京大学物性研究所 Institute for Solid State Physics, University of Tokyo、 岡山大学理学部 Faculty of Science, Okayama University
- Magnetic circular x-ray dichroism (MCXD) in L edges of the entire series of rare-earth elements is reviewed. Some confusions in the sign of MCXD spectra observed are examined and solved introducing a new role to the 4f-5d exchange interaction. We discuss some aspects of these investigations and relating problems.
東京工業大学応用セラミックス研究所 Materials and Structure laboratory, Tokyo Institute of Technology
- X-ray scattering has become a unique probe of atom-scale magnetic structures in surfaces and thin films by the discovery of resonant X-ray magnetic scattering and the advent of third-generation synchrotron sources. The power of the technique is demonstrated in an application to the determination of the magnetization structures in Fe/Gd multilayers at ambient and low temperatures. Discussion is presented on the experimental determination of resonant magnetic scattering factors, fm' and fm", and of magnetic roughness at interfaces through measurement of resonant magnetic diffuse scattering.
理化学研究所 播磨研究所 RIKEN Harima Institute、（財）高輝度光科学研究センター 実験部門 JASRI Experimental Research Division、理化学研究所 播磨研究所 RIKEN Harima Institute
- An X-ray undulator beamline, BL47XU, is allocated to the first 'R&D beamline' to serve both scientific and technical R&D's. The tentative mission at the initial phase are those R&D's for (i) novel optics, (ii) various imaging techniques and applications, (iii) methodology for electron beam emittance measurement using emitted synchrotron radiation. From April, 1998, part of the beamline is open to the outside users. Here we report some of the experimental results obtained at this beamline.
The Behaviour of Ionization Chambers under the Injection of High Flux X-ray Beam
理化学研究所・播磨研究所 Ｘ線干渉光学研究室 Coherent X-ray Optics Laboratory, RIKEN Harima Institute
- Ionization Chambers are widely in use as X-ray beam intensity monitors in synchrotron radiation experiments, but it has been known that proportionality degradation will be caused by electron-ion recombination process when high ionizing current is generated in the ionizing charged particle experiment. Proportionality degradation due to intense X-ray beam was experimentally investigated at the BL47XU to cope with the high current storage ring operation and improvement of beamline X-ray optics devices.
理化学研究所 播磨研究所 RIKEN Harima Institute
- RIKEN beamline II (BL44B2) has been designed and constructed by RIKEN Structural Biology Group at RIKEN Harima Institute. BL44B2 supplies narrow bandpass, rapidly tunable X-rays for XAFS experiment and protein crystallography, and wide bandpass, intense white X-rays for time-resolved Laue crystallography as well.
The Postspinel Phase Boundary in Mg2SiO4 Determined by in Situ X-ray Diffraction
5. 研究会等報告／WORKSHOP AND COMMITTEE REPORT
Report on the Highlights in X-ray SR Research – General, Material Science1-
On Participating in EPAC’98 and Visiting BESSYII, SINCROTRONE TRIESTE and ESRF
Helicity-modulation Technique with Diamond Phase Retarder for XMCD Measurements
（財）高輝度光科学研究センター 放射光研究所 JASRI Research Sector
- Helicity-modulation technique for accurate measurements of x-ray magnetic circular dichroism (XMCD) has been developed by a combination of a diamond x-ray phase retarder and a phase-sensitive detection system. A measured XMCD spectrum at the Fe K-edge in CoFe2O4 agreed with that obtained with a conventional magnetic field inversion method. The new technique gave the spectrum with higher statistical accuracy in shorter measuring time.
Joint Symposium on the 11th Annual Meeting of Japan Synchrotron Radiation Society and the 4th Meeting of Synchrotron Radiation Science
Report of Workshop on Scientific and Engineering Advancements at SPring-8
Report of ESRF Workshop on Ultra-fast Kinetics of Molecular Assemblies
6. 利用業務部からのお知らせ／FROM USERS OFFICE
Special Program! Fictitious Anon.Talk in the Disbandment of the JAERI-RIKEN SPring-8 Project Team
7. ユーザー便り／A LETTER FROM SPring-8 USERS
Top Seminar in Tokyo : “Light of the 21st Century” Promote Future Development of Science and Technology into the 21st Century
As for the Questionnair Results on the Preferable Injection Start Time of SPring-8
A Short History of CERN -Ideal of Big-Science and Relationship between Engineering & Science-
Miscellaneous impressions on synchrotron radiation facilities (PF. UVSOR and SPring-8)
Call for Proposals on Refinement of Experimental Station at the SPring-8 Beamlines
The 2nd International Conference on Synchrotron Radiation in Materials Science
Call for the Beam Time Application at the SPring-8 (Important!)
A Letter of Approval on Chemicals, Bio-Samples, etc. for SPring-8 Users -Material Safety Data Sheet-
The 2nd International Conference on Synchrotron Radiation in Materials Science
Joint Symposium on the 12th Annual Meeting of Japan Synchrotron Radiation Society and Synchrotron Radiation Science