1. SPring-8の現状／PRESENT STATUS OF SPring-8
Call for the Reserved Beam Time Application 2001B for the Structural Biology (BL40B2, BL42XU) Beamlines
Call for the Beam Time Application for the Public Beamlines at SPring-8
The Experiments in the 7 th Research Period (2001A) at the Public Beamlines of SPring-8
The Experiments in the 6th Research Period (2000B) at the Public Beamlines of SPring-8
Call for the Beam Time Application for the Public Beamlines at SPring-8
Reorganization of the structure in the JASRI’s Synchrotron Radiation Research Laboratory
The Experiments at the Public Beamlines of SPring-8 Since the 1st to 6th the Research Period
2. 共用ビームライン／PUBLIC BEAMLINE
Japan Synchrotron Radiation Research Institute(JASRI)、The Institute of Physical and Chemical Research (RIKEN)、Japan Synchrotron Radiation Research Institute(JASRI)、NEC Fundamental Research Laboratory、Japan Synchrotron Radiation Research Institute(JASRI) and The Institute of Physical and Chemical Research (RIKEN)
- We discuss recent advances in instrumentation for high resolution inelastic x-ray scattering and nuclear resonant scattering of synchrotron radiation at BL35XU. Notable points are demonstration of the backscattering monochromator performance over long scan ranges, significant improvements in analyzer crystal perfection and a setup for nuclear scattering from the 25.6 keV resonance of 161Dy. The last includes a new compact optical design yielding 2×108 photons/sec into a 0.52 meV bandwidth at 25.6 keV and a detector with ~200 ps time resolution and ~20% efficiency at 25.6 keV.
Band Structure and Compton Profile Calculation Programs at BL08W : Installation and Perspectives
（財）高輝度光科学研究センター 放射光研究所 利用研究促進部門Ⅰ JASRI Materials Science Division、東京理科大学 理工学部 物理学科 Science University of Tokyo, Faculty of Science and Technology、㈱富士総合研究所 フロンティア・サイエンス室 Fuji Research Institute Corporation, Frontier Science and Technology、姫路工業大学 理学部 Himeji Institute of Technology, Faculty of Science
- Band structure and Compton profile calculation programs are now available at BL08W. In the programs, wave functions and their related quantities are computed based on a LDA-based FLAPW method, and Compton profiles are efficiently calculated using a lattice harmonics expansion technique for electron momentum density. This report gives the outline of the programs and presents examples of calculation results. Perspectives are also given on both the advances of the band structure calculation method and the expansions of the program’s performance to compute other experimental spectra and quantities one can measure using synchrotron radiations.
Beamline 20XU – Design Construction Commissioning and Present Status –
JASRI Materials Sciences Division、JASRI Beamline Division、JASRI Materials Sciences Division and JASRI Beamline Division、SPring-8 Service Co. Ltd.、JASRI Beamline Division and RIKEN Harima Institute
- BL13XU is currently being prepared for public use. We would bring you to a guided tour of BL13XU. The beamline monochromator and mirrors have been tested. Thus x-ray beam performance has been evaluated. We describe herein the topics (a photon flux, intensity stability, the critical angles of the mirror, and a focal condition) out of outcomes that we have achieved since May 2001. Diffractometers available are mentioned as well.
Additional Call for the Beamtimes in the 2001A Public Use Term
3. その他のビームライン／OTHER BEAMLINES
Present Status of Industrial Consortium Beamlines for Materials Research (BL16XU/B2)
（財）高輝度光科学研究センター 放射光研究所 利用促進部門 JASRI Experimental Facilities Division
- The installation of the R&D beamline III (BL38B1) was started from November 2000. The X-ray source of BL38B1 is a bending magnet and mirror-focused monochromatic beam is useful for both XAFS and protein crystallography. A wide range of X-ray energy with the mirror angle of 0 to 3.2 mrad is available for many purposes such as XAFS experiment, optics and detector development, and design of new experimental technique. A CCD X-ray detector for protein crystallography have been installed. This beamline is open for SPring-8 staff and public users from 2001A.
理化学研究所 播磨研究所 RIKEN Harima Institute
- The number of IDs installed in the storage ring as of January 2001 is 23, which corresponds to about two thirds of the number of straight sections available for IDs. Most of the ID beamlines adopt IDs called standard in-vacuum undulators with the periodic length of 32 mm, which can supply hard x rays between 5 and 80 keV using up to the 5th harmonic. As for other beamlines, very exotic devices such as helical, figure-8 or revolver undulators are adopted to provide special polarization states, very high flux, or very wide energy range. In this report, the status of IDs is presented including recent topics concerning the ID construction at SPring-8.
4. 最近の研究から／FROM LATEST RESEARCH
Characterization of InGaAsP Selective- growth Layers Using High Resolution Microbeam x-ray Diffraction
ＮＥＣ基礎研究所 Fundamental Research Laboratories, NEC Corporation、ＮＥＣ関西 化合物デバイス統括部 Compound Semiconductor Device Division, NEC Kansai Limited、姫路工業大学 理学部 Faculty of Science, Himeji Institute of Technology
- We have succeeded in developing the high-resolution microbeam x-ray diffraction method to define optical devices. Using the method, the lattice constants of quaternary alloy (InGaAsP) compound semiconductors selectively grown in microscopic regions measuring 1.7 µm in width were accurately measured. As a result, it is possible to define the composition of the selectively grown InGaAsP layers with roughly 100 times more accuracy than when using traditional technologies.
名古屋大学大学院 工学研究科 Department of Applied Physics, Nagoya University、名古屋大学大学院 理学研究科 Department of Chemistry, Nagoya University
- The geometry of carbon cages(fullerenes) is governed by the isolated pentagon rule(IPR), which states that the most stable fullerenes are those in which all pentagons are surrounded by five hexagons. Although this rule has been verified experimentally, it is impossible for fullerenes in the range C60 to C70 to obey it. Here we describe the structure determination of the IPR-violating metallofullerene, Sc2@C66, a C66 fullerene encaging a scandium dimmer, by the synchrotron radiation powder method using Large Debye-Scherrer Camera at BL02B2 in SPring-8. The results indicate that encapsulation of the metal dimmer significantly stabilizes this extremely unstable C66 fullerene.
大阪大学 蛋白質研究所 Institute for Protein Research, Osaka University
- Photosynthetic electron transfer is a key reaction, which makes green plants get the reductive power to grow. About 20 years ago, the first structure of a plant-type ferredoxin, a photosynthetic electron carrier protein, has bee reported. Many biochemists and plant physiologists have been studying the interaction site of ferredoxin based on this 3D structure. After the crystal structure of ferredoxin-NADP+ reductase, a partner protein of ferredoxin, has been reported in 1991, further experiments, including computer modeling and continuous mutational experiments, of this protein-protein interaction have been done extensively. Here we determined the first 3D structure of this electron transfer complex from maize leaf. We think that the structural information of this complex is consistent with previous biochemical and biophysical reports and conclude the precise interaction model.
（財）高輝度光科学研究センター 放射光研究所 JASRI Research Sector、総務省 通信総合研究所 関西先端研究センター Kansai Advanced Research Center, Communications Research Laboratory、（財）高輝度光科学研究センター 放射光研究所 JASRI Research Sector、理化学研究所 播磨研究所 RIKEN Harima Institute
- X-ray diffraction/scattering techniques using synchrotron radiation offer a wide range of applications to biological sciences. Protein crystallography is the best-known example. The lesser-known but equally important applications include small-angle scattering and fiber diffraction. Unlike protein crystallography, these techniques can be applied to proteins or protein assemblies functioning under physiological conditions. Here we briefly describe what can be achieved by using the fiber diffraction technique using synchrotron radiation, with an example of our own recent results on the contractile proteins in muscle fiber.
高エネルギー加速器研究機構 物質構造科学研究所 Institute of materials structure science, High energy accelerator research organization
- We have succeeded in observing nuclear excitation by electron transition (NEET) on 197Au by a new method. Monochromatic x-rays of BL09XU were used to ionize the K shell of gold atoms. The internal-conversion electrons emitted from excited nuclei were detected with the time spectroscopy using a silicon avalanche photodiode detector. At a photon energy of 80.989 keV, higher than the Au K-edge, the NEET probability on 197Au was determined from a comparison of the event rates between the NEET and the nuclear resonance at 77.351 keV.
Structural Genomics Research : Activity of Protein Structure Analysis in RIKEN
奈良先端科学技術大学院大学 物質創成科学研究科 Graduate School of Materials Science, Nara Institute of Science and Technology (NAIST)
- A new display-type spherical mirror analyzer has been constructed at BL25SU to study photoelectron spectroscopy especially for circularly polarized light photoelectron diffraction. The advantage of this analyzer is that the angular distribution of emitted photoelectrons of one particular kinetic energy can be measured on the screen without distortion. The energy resolution is 0.3% of the pass energy. The acceptance solid angle is ±60 deg at present, and it can be increased to ±80 deg in near future. The angular resolution is 0.6 deg. Recent result of stereo-photograph of atomic arrangement is shown.
Crystal Structure of the Bacterial Flagellar Protofilament and Its Switch Mechanism
松下電器産業㈱ 先端技術研究所、科学技術振興事業団 ERATO プロトニックナノマシンプロジェクト Advanced Technology Research Laboratories, Matsushita E. I. Co., Ltd.／Protonic NanoMachine Project, ERATO, JST、科学技術振興事業団 ERATO プロトニックナノマシンプロジェクト Protonic NanoMachine Project, ERATO, JST
- The bacterial flagellar filament is a helical propeller made of 11 protofilaments of a single protein, flagellin. The filament switches between left- and right-handed supercoiled forms when bacteria switch the swimming mode between running and tumbling. Supercoiling is produced by two different packing interactions of flagellin called L and R. In switching from L to R, the intersubunit distance (~52 Å) along the protofilament decreases by 0.8 Å. We solved the 2.0 Å resolution crystal structure of a 41-kDa fragment of Salmonella flagellin. The crystal contained pairs of antiparallel straight protofilaments having the R-type repeat. By simulated extension of the protofilament model, we identified possible switch regions responsible for the bi-stable mechanical switch.
Development of Multilayer Fresnel Zone Plate for High Brilliant X-ray Microbeam
産業技術総合研究所（旧工業技術院）大阪工業技術研究所 Osaka National Research Institute、関西医科大学 物理学教室 Kansai Medical University、（財）高輝度光科学研究センター 放射光研究所 JASRI Research Sector、理化学研究所 播磨研究所 RIKEN Harima Institute、立命館大学 理工学部 Ritsumeikan University
- Hard X-ray microbeam with multilayer Fresnel zone plate has been tested at SPring-8 BL47XU undulator beamline. Focusing properties are evaluated in X-ray wavelength of ＞25 keV. In the scanning microscopy experiment at an X-ray wavelength of 0.045 nm (27.8 keV), a resolution-test-patterns up to 0.2 µm structure was resolved. The focused beam profile at an X-ray wavelength of 0.015 nm (82.7 keV) was measured: the measured focal beam size was 〜 4 µm.
An Experimental Challenge for Detecting Extremely Trace Metals by Total-reflection X-ray Fluorescence
文部科学省（旧科学技術庁）金属材料技術研究所 精密励起場ステーション National Research Institute for Metals
- Trace elements often play significant roles in biological and environmental systems as well as in industrial applications. Total-reflection X-ray fluorescence (TXRF) is an extremely promising tool for ultra trace analysis. Although a brilliant synchrotron source can in principle contribute to upgrade the detection power, an energy-dispersive spectrometer based on a Si(Li) detector, which has been employed in most TXRF experiments so far, restricts the performance. The present report describes our successful experiments at BL40XU using a wavelength-dispersive spectrometer with downsized Johansson-type focusing optics. Because of the c.a. 20 times better energy resolution, the signal to background ratio has been fairly enhanced. The record of the detection limit has been improved down to 1.9 fg, which is almost 10 times better than the world best record reported in 1997.
Study of Orbital State in Bilayer Manganite by Magnetic Compton Profile Measurement
姫路工業大学 理学部 Himeji Institute of Technology, Faculty of Science、（財）高輝度光科学研究センター JASRI 、東北大学大学院 理学研究科 Graduate School of Science, Tohoku University
- We have distinctively determined the orbital populations of two eg-type (x2-y2 and 3z2-r2) state in the bilayer manganite La2-2xSr1+2xMn2O7 by magnetic Compton profile (MCP) measurement. MCP's were measured along the  direction at x=0.35 and 0.42, and fitted by the theoretical profiles obtained from the (MnO6) 8− ab initio calculations. From the fitting analysis, it is found that the MCP clearly detects the hybridization effect of Mn 3d and O 2p orbitals in the eg state. The eg orbital state is dominated by the x2-y2-type orbital, and its population is almost constant with increasing the hole concentration x, while that in the 3z2-r2-type orbital decreases.
Introdution of Liquid Nitrogen Cooling System to Standard Double Crystal Monochromator at BL29XUL／19LXU
理化学研究所 播磨研究所 Ｘ線干渉光学研究室 Coherent X-ray Optics Laboratory, Harima Institute, RIKEN、（財）高輝度光科学研究センター 放射光研究所 ビームライン・技術部門 JASRI Beamline Division、理化学研究所 播磨研究所 Ｘ線干渉光学研究室、（財）高輝度光科学研究センター Coherent X-ray Optics Laboratory, Harima Institute, RIKEN／JASRI
Report of the Joint Symposium on the 14th Annual Meeting of Japan Synchrotron Radiation Society and Synchrotron Radiation Science (Part-1)
Report of the Joint Symposium on the 14th Annual Meeting of Japan Synchrotron Radiation Society and Synchrotron Radiation Science (Part-2)
Report of the Joint Symposium on the 14th Annual Meeting of Japan Synchrotron Radiation Society and Synchrotron Radiation Science (Part-3)
（財）高輝度光科学研究センター 放射光研究所 加速器部門 JASRI Accelerator Division
- The sixth symposium on accelerator's power supply system was held on 15th and 16th November 2000 at SPring-8 PR-Center conference room. More than 70 people attended. Many presentations and discussions about, for example, IGBT switching mode power supply for magnets, noise reduction technics, high precision current control technics of accelerators, and so on, have done. Before this symposium, an investigative tour for Hyogo Ion Beam Medical Center, NewSUBARU facility, and SPring-8 facility was held. Announces and registrations for this symposium have been done using only an e-mail and www home page on the Internet.
Activities of the SPring-8 Advisory Committee and the Others in the 2000 Fiscal Year
Airlie Meeting : Second International Structural Genomics Meeting and Harima Workshop
The 4th Harima International Conference on “New Trends in Phosphoinositide SIgnalling and Protein Phosphorylation”
International Workshop on Crystallography at High Pressure and High Temperature Using X-rays and Neutrons
6. 談話室・ユーザー便り／OPEN HOUSE･A LETTER FROM SPring-8 USERS
Japan Synchrotron Radiation Research Institute (JASRI) Invites Applications for Permanent Research Positions
Lectures on the X-ray Single Crystal Structure Analysis Using SPring-8 Beamlines
COE International Workshop on High Resolution Photoemission Spectroscopy of Correlated Electron Systems
「SPring-8」Open House! ~Harima Science Garden City Spring Fair 2001~