Volume 05, No.3
May issue 2000
2. SPring-8の現状／PRESENT STATUS OF SPring-8
The Additional Proposals Accepted for Beamtimes in the 5th Public Use Term
Call for the Beam Time Application for the Public Beamlines at SPring-8
3. 共用ビームライン／PUBLIC BEAMLINE
（財）高輝度光科学研究センター 放射光研究所 利用促進部門 JASRI Experimental Facilities Division、理化学研究所 播磨研究所 Ｘ線干渉光学研究室 Coherent X-ray Optics Laboratory, Harima Institute, RIKEN、（財）高輝度光科学研究センター 放射光研究所 実験部門 JASRI Experimental Research Division
- High flux beamline (BL40XU) was designed to use the fundamental undulator radiation as a quasi-monochromatic X-ray beam so that very high X-ray flux can be used in various experiments. For this purpose, the use of the crystal monochromator was eliminated and thus flux more than 100 times higher than that obtained with a crystal monochromator can be used. The X-ray source of BL40XU is a helical undulator and its gap can be varied so that the peak energy is altered from 8 keV to 17 keV. The X-ray is focused horizontally and vertically by two water-cooled mirrors that are made of silicon and coated with rhodium and, then, introduced into the experimental hutch. In the experimental hutch, two types of shutter are located. One is driven by a galvanometer-like motor and opens and closes within 1.5 msec after a trigger pulse. The other is a rotating-aperture type shutter. By synchronizing the two shutters, 6 µsec opening can be achieved. As a detector, a fast CCD camera with an X-ray image intensifier that has a short-decay phosphor will be installed. The framing rate of the fast CCD camera is 290 frames per sec (using with frame size of 640×480 pixels, 10bits) and will achieve up to 5000 frames per sec by reducing the size of the frame. BL40XU was open for public users from April 2000. It will be expected that various experiments that require high X-ray flux, e.g. time-resolved diffraction and scattering experiments, X-ray speckle and X-ray fluorescence trace analyses and so on, will be carried out.
4. 最近の研究から／FROM LATEST RESEARCH
名古屋大学工学研究科 応用物理学専攻 Department of Applied Physics, Nagoya University
- The design concept of large Debye-Sherrer camera installed at BL02B2 is described. It is intended to contribute to further development of materials science and technology by solving accurate structures of materials with interesting physical, chemical, electronical and/or mechanical properties by using powder specimens only. For the purpose, it is extremely important to collect accurate X-ray diffraction data at various temperatures within a reasonable experimental time. A few results so far obtained are also given.
High Resolution Soft X-ray Photoemission Spectroscopy of Genuine Bulk Electronic Structures of Correlated Electron Systems : Ce Cases
大阪大学大学院 基礎工学研究科 物性物理科学分野 Department of Material Physics, Graduate School of Engineering Science, Osaka University
- We have constructed a high resolution and high flux soft X-ray beamline BL25SU connected to the twin-helical undulator of SPring-8. Three experimental stations are installed in a tandem configuration. In the first station, an SES200 photoelectron analyzer and a closed cycle He cryostat are installed. Near 1keV, high resolution photoemission with a total resolution better than 100meV is conventionally performed. Bulk electronic states of correlated electron systems are studied with high accuracy. Genuine bulk electronic states of a Kondo system CeRu2Si2 and a valence fluctuation system CeRu2 are clarified for the first time.
日本原子力研究所 関西研究所 放射光科学研究センター Synchrotron Radiation Research Center, JAERI Kansai Research Establishment
- We have found an abrupt, pressure-induced structural change between two distinct forms of liquid phosphorus at about 1 GPa by an in-situ X-ray diffraction method. Features of the transformation strongly support the view that it is a first-order liquid-liquid phase transition.
5. 研究会等報告／WORKSHOP AND COMMITTEE REPORT
Activities of the SPring-8 Advisory Committee and the Others in the 1999 Fiscal Year
A Brief Report on the 3rd Technical Workshop for SPring-8 Utilization (Part-1)
（財）高輝度光科学研究センター 放射光研究所 利用促進部門 JASRI Experimental Facilities Division
- The Third Technical Workshop for SPring-8 Utilization have held Two-day workshop had started with the general greetings and introduction. Those issues regarding the thirty-meter undulator and storage ring operation in 2000B period have also stated. In the 'analytical science' session, major topics were minute fraction and extreme microanalysis with seeking how to beyond the limit(s). Utilization and observed results of experiments with high-temperature and high-pressure cell 'SPEED1500' were presented in the session of 'high pressure earth science. Beam line oriented presentations and discussions were performed regarding extract of the specificity of SPring-8 beam in the 'soft X-ray science,' session. 'Biological science' session had discussions on fundamental techniques how to use the beamline and results of experiments as a base of dynamic point of view. The workshop has closed successfully.
A Brief Report on the 3rd Technical Workshop for SPring-8 Utilization (Part-2)
6. 談話室・ユーザー便り／OPEN HOUSE･A LETTER FROM SPring-8 USERS
“SPring-8” Open House! ~Harima Science Garden City Spring Fair 2000~