Volume 03, No.2
March issue 1998
（財）高輝度光科学研究センター 加速器部門 JASRI Accelerator Division
- Multi-bunch-mode, single-bunch-mode and several-bunch-mode operations of electron or positron beam were designed in the SPring-8 storage ring. At the beginning of the commissioning multi-bunch-mode operation was mainly carried out. At the same time the rf knockout system was tested in the synchrotron for a request of the single-bunchmode operation from users. A long pulse train of 1 μs or 40 ns is injected from the Linac to the synchrotron, one bunched beam is remained with the rf knockout system in the synchrotron and the beam is injected into an aimed bunch of the storage ring repeatedly. The several-bunch-mode operation could be realized and used for users of BL09. The impurity of the satellite buckets was less than 10－6. A beam life time at the current value of 19 mA in 21-bunchmodeoperation was about 18 hours. The phenomenon that purity became worse with the time was not observed at all. Sometimes the beam was injected into other bunches in addition to aimed bunches and the reason has been investigated.
2. SPring-8の現状／PRESENT STATUS OF SPring-8
3. 共用ビームライン／PUBLIC BEAMLINE
Current Status of High Energy Inelastic Scattering BL08W Experimental Station
（財）高輝度光科学研究センター 利用促進部門 JASRI Experimental Facilities Divison
- The outline and the current situation of Extremely Dense State Beamline (BL10XU) which has the high pressure station and the high brilliance XAFS station are reported. After the commissioning on September 1997, a pre-edge peak of K2MoO4 is successfully observed in the Mo K-edge absorption spectrum, indicating the sufficient energy resolution of the monochromatized synchrotron radiation beam at BL10XU. In the high pressure station, perspicuous diffraction patterns under the ultra-high pressure are obtained. New high brilliance XAFS system using the undulator gap control synchronized with the monochromator scanning is described.
4. 最近の研究から／FROM LATEST RESEARCH
東京大学物性研究所 Institute for Solid State Physics, University of Tokyo、 岡山大学理学部 Faculty of Science, Okayama University
- Magnetic circular x-ray dichroism (MCXD) in L edges of the entire series of rare-earth elements is reviewed. Some confusions in the sign of MCXD spectra observed are examined and solved introducing a new role to the 4f-5d exchange interaction. We discuss some aspects of these investigations and relating problems.
東京工業大学応用セラミックス研究所 Materials and Structure laboratory, Tokyo Institute of Technology
- X-ray scattering has become a unique probe of atom-scale magnetic structures in surfaces and thin films by the discovery of resonant X-ray magnetic scattering and the advent of third-generation synchrotron sources. The power of the technique is demonstrated in an application to the determination of the magnetization structures in Fe/Gd multilayers at ambient and low temperatures. Discussion is presented on the experimental determination of resonant magnetic scattering factors, fm' and fm", and of magnetic roughness at interfaces through measurement of resonant magnetic diffuse scattering.
5. 研究会等報告／WORKSHOP AND COMMITTEE REPORT
Joint Symposium on the 11th Annual Meeting of Japan Synchrotron Radiation Society and the 4th Meeting of Synchrotron Radiation Science
Report of Workshop on Scientific and Engineering Advancements at SPring-8
Report of ESRF Workshop on Ultra-fast Kinetics of Molecular Assemblies
6. 談話室／OPEN HOUSE
7. ユーザー便り／A LETTER FROM SPring-8 USERS
Miscellaneous impressions on synchrotron radiation facilities (PF. UVSOR and SPring-8)