1. SPring-8の現状／PRESENT STATUS OF SPring-8
Call for 2006A Nanonet Proposals (under the Nanotechnology Researchers Network Project)
Call for 2005B Strategic Use proposals (Program for Strategic Use of Advanced Large-scale Research Facilities of the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology)
Call for 2005B Nanonet Proposals (Nanotechnology Research Network Project Experiments)
Experiments Conducted in the 15th Research Term (2005A) at SPring-8 Public Beamlines
The Experiments in the 14th Research Period (2004B) at the Public Beamlines of SPring-8
名古屋大学大学院 工学研究科 Graduate School of Engineering, Nagoya University、岡山大学大学院 自然科学研究科／CREST (JST) Graduate School of Natural Science and Technology, Okayama University / CREST (JST)、大阪府立大学大学院 理学系研究科 Graduate School of Science, Osaka Prefecture University、（財）高輝度光科学研究センター 利用研究促進部門／CREST (JST) Research & Utilization Division, JASRI / CREST (JST)
Cell-selective Determination of Trace Elements in Testis by SR-XRF Analysis with Nanoprobe
放射線医学総合研究所 National Institute of Radiological Sciences、北里大学 獣医畜産学部 Kitasato University, School of Veterinary Medicine & Animal Sciences、（財）高輝度光科学研究センター JASRI
- Organotin compounds are widely used in industry and its environmental contamination by these compounds has recently become a concern. It is known that they act as endocrine disruptors but details of the dynamics of Sn in reproductive organs are still unknown. In the present study, we attempted to determine Sn in the testis of rats exposed to tributyltin chloride (TBTC) cell-selectively by synchrotron radiation X-ray florescence analysis with nanoprobe. TBTC was orally administered to rats at a dose of 45 µmol/kg per day for 3 days. One day later, Sn was detected in spermatozoa at the stage VIII seminiferous tubule, which are the final step of spermatogenesis in the testis. Sn levels in the microdissectioned seminiferous tubules determined by inductively coupled argon plasma-mass spectrometry were approximately equivalent to that in the testis. These data indicate that Sn accumulates in germ cells as well as in spermatozoa in a short period of TBTC exposure.
Synchrotron X-ray Diffraction Studies under High Magnetic Fields and Low Temperatures
（独）理化学研究所 播磨研究所 Harima Institute, RIKEN
- Diffraction studies of magnetic materials subjected to extreme conditions are illustrated with observations made by non-resonant X-ray diffraction, using beam-line BL19LXU at SPring-8, on materials held in high magnetic fields and low temperatures. The first observation is that of a giant magneto-volume effect in solid oxygen. From this finding, we confirm that magnetic interactions between oxygen molecules are a vital ingredient in determining the crystal structure. A second example is the determination of the high-field phase of a spin-Peierls system CuGeO3. The X-ray diffraction pattern was measured in a magnetic field, H, up to 15 T. We find that the temperature dependence of the incommensurate peak is quite different at lower H from that at higher H, which is interpreted as stabilization of the incommensurate state by suppression of thermal fluctuations that is brought about by application of a magnetic field. The third example entails diffraction measurements on a sample held at a very low temperature. We observed a jump in the lattice constant of the ladder-like compound Cu2(C5H12N2)2Cl4 at about 40 mK associated with the field-induced magnetic ordering from the non-magnetic spin-liquid state. This is the first experimental confirmation of the theoretical prediction on the generalized spin-Peierls phenomenon in quantum magnets. Finally, future prospects are given.
神戸大学 発達科学部 Faculty of Human Development, kobe University
- Circular dichroism spectra of evaporated films of two amino acids (Phenylalanine and Serine) were measured at the soft X-ray energy region for the first time. Magnitude of signal was 0.1 % of the absorption coefficient. Asymmetric reaction will be explored from a view point of origin of life.
A Step Towards Understanding the Mechanism of High TC Superconductors – Possible to be Superconducting at Room Temperature? –
Direct Observation of Ferromagnetic Spin Polarization in Au Nanoparticles by Element Specific Magnetization Measurement
北陸先端科学技術大学院大学 材料科学研究科 School of Materials Science, Japan Advanced Institute of Science and Technology
- Gold shows diamagnetic property in the bulk state. However, this property might be different in the nano-sized region because the electronic structure may be modified significantly. This article reports the first direct observation of ferromagnetic spin polarization of Au nanoparticles with a mean diameter of 1.9 nm using X-ray magnetic circular dichroism (XMCD). Owing to the element selectivity of XMCD, only the gold magnetization is explored. Magnetization of gold atoms estimated by XMCD shows a good agreement with the results obtained by conventional magnetometry. This result is evidence of intrinsic spin polarization in nano-sized gold.
Direct observation of hydrogen molecules adsorbed in a microporous coordination polymer
大阪女子大学 理学部 Department of Environmental Sciences, Osaka Women’s University、（財）高輝度光科学研究センター 利用研究促進部門Ⅰ／CREST (JST) Materials Science Division, JASRI / CREST、京都大学大学院 工学研究科 Department of Synthetic Chemistry and Biological Chemistry, Kyoto University、（財）高輝度光科学研究センター 利用研究促進部門Ⅰ／CREST (JST)、Materials Science Division, JASRI / CREST、岡山大学 理学部 Department of Physics, Okayama University、名古屋大学大学院 工学研究科 Department of Applied Physics, Nagoya University
- Hydrogen storage is one of the most important technologies, which is indispensable for the establishment of clean hydrogen energy system. Adsorption of H2 molecules in the metal-organic porous materials is one of the most promising candidates to store and release H2 molecules efficiently. To develop a rational synthetic strategy for novel metal-organic porous materials as hydrogen storages, the elucidation of the intermolecular interaction between H2 molecules and pore walls is essential and the fundamental structural characteristics of H2 molecules are required. Although the weakest X-ray scattering amplitude of hydrogen made it difficult to determine the structure, we have succeeded in direct observation of H2 molecules adsorbed in the nano-channels of the metal-organic porous material by in-situ synchrotron powder diffraction experiment of gas adsorption and MEM(maximum entropy method)/Rietveld analysis. The result could give us promising guidelines for designing hydrogen gas storage materials.
3. 研究会等報告／WORKSHOP AND COMMITTEE REPORT
New Frontier Opened by Bulk Sensitive Angle-Integrated and – Resolved Photoelectron Spectroscopy with Use of High Resolution Soft X-ray
The development of charge density level structure analysis method under high pressure.
東京大学 分子細胞生物学研究所 Institute of Molecular and Cellular Biosciences, The University of Tokyo
- Calcium ATPase is an ATP-powered calcium pump and the best studied member of the P-type ion-transporting ATPases. Its crystal structures have been determined using SPring-8 for 5 different states that cover the whole reaction cycle. These structures show how the ion pump works and reveal what ATP and phosphorylation do.
4. 研究会等報告／WORKSHOP AND COMMITTEE REPORT
3rd International Workshop on Beam Orbit Stabilization 2004 (IWBS2004)
Report of the Joint Symposium on the 18th Annual Meeting of Japan Synchrotron Radiation Society and Synchrotron Radiation Science
Activities of the SPring-8 Advisory Committee and the Others in the 2004 Fiscal Year
5. 談話室・ユーザー便り／OPEN HOUSE･A LETTERS FROM SPring-8 USERS
Meeting on the Results of FY2005 Research Activities by Synchrotron Radiation Research Group of the Nano Technology Researchers Project, MEXT